When we move into a new place, we choose a lot of things, size, layout, location, etc. But one of the things we don’t have much say over is who lives next to us or in our immediate area. What sort of people are living next door? What are the dynamics between us?
On a scale of one to five, the relationship could be any of the following:
Minus 1: yeah, this is the neighbour routinely blasting the music at 1 am, running a grow-op or otherwise totally disconsiderate. The one you’ve wanted to call the cops on at least once. Not cool at all.
1. The no-interaction neighbour. You know they’re there, they see you here, but no words or exchange going on. And sometimes you’re just not that interested in getting chummy with them either.
2. The Hi-and-Bye neighbour. Maybe a greeting, a smile, a wave, but you don’t really know their name or what they’re in to.
3. The first name neighbour. OK, you’ve introduced yourselves, and engage in small talk from time to time on the front path, but that’s as far as it goes.
4. Friendly neighbours. You’ve gone over for drinks sometimes, maybe even a BBQ. Maybe you watched the game with them a few months back. If your car’s making a noise, you can ask him what he thinks. If you bake extra cupcakes, you take some over. You know, basic neighbourly stuff.
5. Neighbours that are friends. You really click. Your kids hang out together. If you’re out of milk or you’re printer is out of ink, they’re always willing to lend a hand. You go out to events together. You shovel each other’s driveway from time to time. And when you’re on vacation, don’t worry, we’ve got the mail for you.
We have very little say over who will live next to us, but when we score a #4 or #5, it’s like the universe is smiling at us. It makes the home more homely, the neighbourhood more neighbourly. And it makes life that much more